Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Day At Bookhou

My favorite shop in the world
Last Wednesday Margie had to work (by the way, did you guys know that she's a doctor? How lucky are her patients???) so I hopped on a train to Union Station and spent a most wonderful day with my amazingly talented friend Arounna and her family 
at Bookhou, my favorite shop in the world.
My birdies in Arounna's studio.
I was so honored to see my birdies living in her studio.
Arounna kindly put up with my snooping around and taking pictures of everything. 
She even let me film her while she screen printed!
Inspiration
Her studio is so full of inspiration. I got to peek into all the little drawers and shelves.
Squeegees and whatnots
I even got to help around with production! Arounna handed me a hammer (I have a thing for hammers) and the cutest little anvil and put me to work 
installing zipper pulls on her pouches.
Art on the walls
I was so touched to see my son Daniel's birds up on Arounna´s studio wall.
Selvedge yarn and calendars
I love that she keeps all of the amazing selvedge from her linen bolts.
Arounna's beautiful work on display
This where she rings up her lucky customers.
Fell in love with this cat!
I fell head of heels with this gorgeous cat by By Kristina Møller 
John's beautiful artwork
John's beautiful artwork. There is so much talent in this family!
Arounna's Art
This is a detail of one of Arounna's mixed media pieces that makes me swoon.
Lovely ceramics by
Lovely ceramics for sale in the shop by Jenny Clark
Storage basket production
Storage baskets in production.
Drying rack
My other job that day was pressing all of these freshly printed pieces of fabric in a wonderful ironing machine that did all the hard work.
Bookhou Shop
There is a beautiful ornament show going on right now at Bookhou.
Gorgeous ornaments by Crown Flora Studio, Midori, Rusurrection Fern, Lil Fish Studios and me.
Gorgeous ornaments by Crown Flora Studio, Midori Sukurai,
More ornaments in the shop
This morning Margie blogged about the ornaments and the workshop I taught at Bookhou. Click here to read more about it.
And here's the little video I shot at Bookhou that day. I hope you enjoy it!
The music is "Desert Crossing" by Jean-Luc Ponty.

29 Lovely Comments:

Blogger Uncle Beefy said...

Sighhhhhhh. Loveliness all around and the video was wonderful!

12/11/2012 10:10 AM  
Blogger skipandscatter said...

I would say fairies live in that store! Thank you for the lovely photos!

12/11/2012 10:21 AM  
Blogger k said...

looks like such a fun hub of creativity - a place i definitely hope to visit one day. and thanks for the desktop calendar too!

12/11/2012 10:29 AM  
Blogger paula said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Such lovely friends you have who make such lovely things, you, of course, included!

12/11/2012 10:33 AM  
Blogger dasmaedchenmitdenlocken said...

Everything is beautiful there. Thank you for sharing these inspirational photos and the lovely video!

12/11/2012 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Rendell said...

Your post is a perfectly wonderful ode to Bookhou and all who are a part of their existence in the creative world. I hope I too can visit them someday.

12/11/2012 11:55 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

So beautiful. I love so many things! I am sad their web shop is closed!

12/11/2012 12:39 PM  
Blogger ariadne said...

Thanks for showing us around!It was as if I was there! I loved it!AriadnefromGreece!

12/11/2012 12:59 PM  
Blogger Margie Oomen said...

now all i can think of is looking at the world through triangle patterned glasses. You are such a creative videographer.

12/11/2012 1:20 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Maunder said...

You could do a coffeetable book with all of those great photos "Bookhou Through The Eyes of Geninne". :) That video was great. I have never seen someone do screenprinting before. So nice to see the amazing process behind Arounna's lovely products. (Loved the music you chose too.)

12/11/2012 1:52 PM  
Blogger Sonia / Cozy Memories said...

I loved all these wonderful photos you took at Bookhou's, and the video is so great too, your talent has really no boundaries. Thank you so much for sharing all of these with us, I know I enjoyed everything tremendously !
xoxoxo

12/11/2012 1:55 PM  
Blogger emmel-prutsemieke said...

What did she do with the brush?

12/11/2012 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Segmation said...

Nice work!

12/11/2012 4:06 PM  
Blogger kat said...

Stunning!!

12/11/2012 6:27 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Lovely video - thank you for sharing it!

12/12/2012 1:23 AM  
Blogger Chloe said...

Oh what a gorgeous shop!

12/12/2012 3:10 AM  
Blogger arounna said...

thank you friend xx

12/12/2012 6:51 AM  
Blogger dls said...

Thank you for sharing....I love their art/work!

12/12/2012 7:15 AM  
Anonymous shelley said...

Ah.... You were in Toronto again. I love checking into your blog periodically to see what inspiring things you have been up to. Did you happen to get to the "one of a kind" craft show and sale in Toronto while you were there?? It's definitely worth a visit for inspiration alone.
Thanks for displaying yours and others talents.

12/12/2012 8:23 AM  
Blogger Chianne Hood said...

I absolutely love everything about this post, all the work seen in it is so inspiring!



http://thehonestfox.blogspot.com

12/12/2012 11:22 AM  
Blogger Petit Peuplier said...

Thank you so much Geninne for sharing these great pictures with us - this is such an inspiring place ! And how wonderful to have a view into Arounna's creative world, it is very uplifting somehow.

Also, I sort of knew how screenprinting is made, but this video is really a must to understand the process... particularly with Arounna herself as the maker :o)

12/12/2012 9:18 PM  
Blogger Veda Murthy said...

I'm spell bound seeing so much creativity! Now I can imagine all the wonder arounna creates! It would be a dream to have all of ur wonderful work in my workspace one day! I m so thankful to having a chance to see all the creations through ur blog! God bless and have a wonderful Christmas Geninne!

12/13/2012 7:15 AM  
Blogger Mendruga said...

Es todo siempre tan bonito!
Que gusto!
:)

12/13/2012 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arounna(bookhou)and you are a wonderfull tandem.
Beatriz (Murcia. Spain)

12/14/2012 3:43 AM  
Blogger Tacy said...

i'm humbled.

12/15/2012 7:23 AM  
Anonymous francesca said...

your video was so instructive in seeing a professional silk screener at work, thank you. wish i could pop in to Bookhou. what a great shop!

12/15/2012 8:21 PM  
Blogger Estela said...

Thanks for posting those great pictures of Bookhou, everytime I see Arounna's work I want to buy something...hehe! I really want to visit one day, soon.

12/19/2012 12:05 AM  
Blogger dndInfotainment p said...

Hi,
I am from Virat Bharat I read This Blog. This Is very Informative to our Youth. Really Good If you Want to see our Site You can easily Visit

http://www.viratbharat.com/Career/Career_News.aspx

Thanking You
Puneet Kardam

12/24/2012 1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.

1/01/2013 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home